Minutes of the meeting of Hollingbourne Parish Council
held on 8th February 2010 in The Cardwell Pavilion at 7.30pm.
Present: Mr M Bedwell (Chairman), Mr J Cobbett (Vice-Chairman), Mr G Bryan, Mr F Stephenson, Mr A Ward, Mr A Williams.
Also in attendance: Ms E Lawrence (Clerk).
1. Apologies for absence were received from Dr S Bauer (unwell) and Mrs J Whittle County Councillor (conflicting commitment).
2. Declaration of Interests and amendments to Register of Interests
Mr Bedwell declared a personal interest in the Planning Application made by the Football Club. There were no other declarations of interest.
There were no amendments to the Register of Interests.
3. Approval of minutes of last meeting (Circulated prior to meeting)
It was resolved that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the meeting and that they should be accepted and signed by the Chairman.
4. Matters Arising (not covered elsewhere on the agenda)
a) Mrs Whittle wished it to be known that she has written regarding the lack of working CCTV coverage at the station
b) Mr Stephenson has discussed the cleaning schedule of the Pavilion with Mrs Harman and will see the regular users in turn.
5. County Councillors report see 4a) above
6. Borough Councillors report nil received
7. Chairman’s Report The Chairman wished it recorded that the Council had met in a closed session, as advised by the legal adviser of the Kent Association of Local Councils (KALC), to discuss Mr Little’s report, copies of which have been made available to both KALC and MBC Local Standards Board. Extensive discussion took place around the 3 critical areas, namely:
· Councillor Bauer’s personal comments about a parishioner, subsequently deemed to be libellous, being included in her email sent out on Parish Council business;
· Councillor Bauer’s failure to make the Parish Council aware of the threat of litigation over a period of time; and
· Councillor Bauer’s direct referral of the notice of intended litigation to the Parish Council’s insurers without bringing the matter to the attention of the Parish Council.
In light of the measures taken to improve the Councils standards of performance, the members decided to move forward and now consider the matter closed.
It was with regret that Mr Bedwell announced the resignation from the Council of Mrs Sarah Baxter, due to family and work commitments. He thanked her for all her hard work and achievements since joining the Council and will write in person.
The Chairman reported the change of ownership of Greenway Court Farm. An extensive woodland management plan is being drawn up, in consultation with both Harrietsham and Hollingbourne Parish Councils and with the support of the Forestry Commission.
8. Finance Committee
It was resolved to approve the expenditure (previously circulated). The draft budget for 2010/11 to be presented for approval at the next meeting.
9. Clerk’s Report
The Clerk advised members that she had received a helpful letter from Mr Wright advising of a potential supplier of parts to the boiler, should this prove necessary.
Crime Update The Clerk had received the following crime figures from
PC Lee Tallon:
i. Criminal damage to a crop near the Pilgrims Way, believed caused by poachers
ii. Theft of a garden roller from Musket Lane – suspects arrested.
The Chairman queried why the damage caused to the Lance Memorial Field was not quoted as the matter had been reported to the police at least twice. Action:Clerk
The Cardwell Pavilion has been booked for local elections for 6th May.
10. Parks Committee
a) Cardwell Pavilion: Mr Ward hoped to be able to arrange for necessary maintenance work to the children’s play area soon.
He had met with Mrs Roper and Mrs Baxter to agree the design and layout of the sensory garden on the Millennium Green. Two days are planned when everyone living in the village is invited to join in and help – Saturday 20 March to clear and prepare and Saturday 24 April to plant out, both days starting at 09.30.
Mr Ward reported that a solicitor is looking into the possibility of Hollingbourne Parish Council becoming a corporate trustee of the Millennium Green Trust.
A new rubbish bin has been placed by the door of the Pavilion to reduce the amount of litter dropped.
b) Football Club: The planning application for a portacabin has been resubmitted.
11. Planning Report
The following application had been considered by the Planning Committee:-
Siting of portakabin adjacent to Pavilion to provide changing room facilities at the Lance Memorial Field, Eyhorne Street, Hollingbourne.
It was noted that this was repeat application which had previously been commented upon.
The Council did not wish to object.
12. Environmental Report Mr Williams reported that improvements to the footpath KH198 continued, largely due to the persistent efforts of Mrs Anne Stout.Action: Thank you letter by Clerk.
13. KIG Update Mr Bryan commented on the financial burden should the case proceed to a judicial review, when the costs would become prohibitive. MBC have offered guidance on covering further costs through the precept. The objection to Luther Pendragon by some residents of Bearsted, widely reported in the media, was noted.
14. Fete 2010 After discussion about the parade, it was agreed to contribute to a majorette group. Mr Bedwell proposed that stallholders be asked to declare, in confidence, their takings on the day. The collated total sum could then be published. This would demonstrate that although the fete is funded by the Parish Council, all proceeds are taken back into the community whether by groups or individuals. Agreed.
15. Items for information Mr Cobbett reported that the Parochial Church Council are organising a service for 30th May, to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the arrival of New Zealand army troops in Hollingbourne. Full details will be made available via the Parish magazine and on the website.
Mr Bedwell suggested that copies of Hayl Hola be sold via eBay: Clerk to follow up.
Another “Garage Safari” had been proposed and it was agreed that the Cardwell Pavilion should be made available free of charge. Date to be confirmed.
The WI has made storage bags for the gazebos, used by many in the village, and it was agreed they should be presented at the Parish Assembly.
Date of next meeting
8 March 2010 at 7.30pm in The Cardwell Pavilion.